Friday, February 5, 2021
At Canopy Growth, our mission is clear: improve lives, end cannabis prohibition, and strengthen communities. We believe that cannabis can be a force for good. We’re building a consumer-centric organization that is focused on sharing the transformational potential of cannabis with the world. We will achieve this through an innovative and disruptive portfolio of cannabis and hemp-derived products.
With millions of square feet of licensed production capacity and operations spanning four continents, Canopy Growth is the world’s leading cannabis and hemp company. We recognize that employees are at the core of our success, and we take pride in a corporate culture that emphasizes inclusiveness, collaboration, and diversity.
Our employees come from a wide range of backgrounds, each bringing their own unique skills and talents to the table, working together to continue our incredible momentum of growth. If you are interested in building global challenger brands, scaling a business, and working in a values-driven environment, we want to hear from you!
- Partnering with Canopy Growth’s various business units to negotiate, draft, review, evaluate and comment on contracts and other commercial obligations, with an emphasis on procurement, manufacturing and sales/distribution agreements
- Providing practical, business-oriented legal advice and solutions on commercial law matters to various Canopy Growth business units
- Actively participating in the efficient functioning of a high-caliber and high-performing in-house legal team by driving innovation and contributing to process improvement in Canopy’s legal operations
- Supporting and learning from Canopy Growth’s other legal professionals as a member of a close-knit and integrated team
- Ready to ‘roll up the sleeves’ to draft documents, synthesize information into memoranda, conduct due diligence or otherwise do what needs to be done
- Acts as a business advisor with an entrepreneurial mindset and an ability to generate well-considered, pragmatic solutions to legal and business problems
- Other duties as assigned
- Member of the bar of one or more Canadian or US jurisdictions
- A minimum of three years’ experience (post-articling) gained at a leading business law firm or within the in-house legal department of a large corporation, dealing with a wide range of commercial law matters. Experience with US law is a very significant asset
- Strong drafting and negotiating skills along with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with transforming high-level commercial objectives into well-crafted legal agreements
- Experience in supervising and coordinating the work of outside counsel
- The following additional skills and background will distinguish candidates in this recruitment, by order of importance:
- Experience in the commercial packaged goods industry; Familiarity with U.S. securities law matters, including stock exchange matters
- Experience in any other areas of law applicable to a global public company; and
- A combination of law firm and in-house experience
- Strong analytical skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness
- Team-oriented; demonstrates a commitment to shared success and building a focused, accountable and winning culture
- Continually identifies best practices to promote efficiency with a focus on quality, customer service and open communication
- Possesses a strong sense of ethics and the ability to handle sensitive information with tact and discretion
- Possesses superior interpersonal skills and ability to develop collaborative relationships with internal clients and coworkers at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to be successful in a quickly evolving and rapid-paced organization; and
- Sound and independent judgment, reasoning, and diplomacy
We appreciate the interest from all candidates, and promise to review all applications, but we will only be contacting those who best fit the requirements. If you don’t hear from us, don’t fret; every resume we get is kept in our database for six months for consideration in future searches for talent.
Canopy Growth welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
One last note: the chosen applicant will be required to successfully complete background and reference checks.
Thank you so much for your interest in Canopy Growth.